December 8, 2015
CREW CHIEF, REFRESH APPALACHIA, MINGO COUNTY, WV
Are you an experienced agriculture professional with a passion for teaching, mentoring, entrepreneurship, and community development?
Refresh Appalachia is a social enterprise of the Coalfield Development Corporation in partnership with the Williamson Health and Wellness Center, Mingo County Redevelopment Authority, Wayne County Economic Development Authority, The Growing Warriors Project, Wild Ramp, Unlimited Future, Inc., and Marshall University’s Robert C. Byrd Institute. Refresh Appalachia is a regional economic and workforce development initiative to establish a sustainable training and development program to increase the success of beginning farmers in southern West Virginia and Central Appalachia, strengthen local food systems, increase access to healthy food, and aggregate and distribute produce to meet regional and national markets.
We are looking for a motivated, talented, socially-minded, and experienced Crew Chief to manage our Mingo County, West Virginia area operations and serve as lead mentor to crew members. This is a unique, challenging, and rewarding position to work within a creative and hard-working partnership of leading non-profits, businesses, academic institutions, public agencies, and community members. As a social enterprise, Refresh Appalachia strives to blend the efficiency and production of the for-profit sector with the compassion and purpose of the charitable sector. The Crew Chief will have the opportunity to develop, test, and adopt innovative and cost-effective production techniques that can be used for our operations and transferred throughout the region; the Crew Chief will also be expected to develop and implement innovative training and mentoring techniques to build skills and leadership abilities within the region’s growing agricultural community.
This is a fast paced and diverse work environment where attention to detail and open communication is critical. The successful candidate should have the ability to work independently, prioritize tasks, anticipate issues, and develop solutions. The Crew Chief will work in collaboration with crew members, other Refresh Appalachia staff, and various project partners. The successful candidate must have a sincere interest in mentoring beginning farmers. The Crew Chief will report to the President of Refresh Appalachia.
If you are looking for a job where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, we hope you will consider applying for this position.
The Refresh Appalachia Crew Chief will lead a variety of activities, including: farm manager, mentor, educator, sales manager, team builder, and innovator. Major activities will include but are not limited to:
● Manage high tunnel and indoor production, livestock production, and other activities on reclaimed mine sites and other farm sites in Mingo County;
● Manage site development at other Refresh Appalachia sites;
● Develop regionally-appropriate indoor and outdoor sustainable agriculture production techniques with project partners and crew members;
● Host, coordinate, and facilitate public workshops and trainings;
● Assist in developing sales plans and interfacing regularly with customers;
● Train and mentor beginning farm entrepreneurs;
● Keep excellent and detailed records;
● Supervise crew members and all farm activities;
● Develop and implement learning curricula for crew members;
● Attend regular meetings with Refresh Appalachia staff and partners.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERTISE
● Commercial vegetable production, farm management, and record keeping experience;
● Interest and experience in taking on new challenges and overcoming obstacles with little supervision;
● Excellent communication skills;
● Experience with farm equipment and light construction;
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERTISE
● Familiarity and experience with certified natural or organic growing practices;
● Experience with irrigation systems; hydroponic, aquaponics, and/or livestock experience is a plus;
● Mechanical, construction, and/or welding skills;
● Pest and disease identification and management experience;
● Experience and passion for community and personal development;
● Experience working within and for disadvantaged communities;
● Knowledge of and experience with GHP and GAP certifications and practices;
● Experience selling to or operating a food hub;
● Personal and/or professional experience in Central Appalachia is an advantage but not required.
REQUIRED LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, AND EDUCATION
● High school education and valid driver’s license
PREFERRED LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, AND EDUCATION
● Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in agriculture, environmental science, or related field.
● Health insurance, retirement, professional and personal development opportunities. Salary commensurate with experience.
This job will be based in the Williamson, WV area.
To apply, please email your application letter and resume in a single PDF to email@example.com. Please put “Application for Mingo Crew Chief” and your name in the email subject. No phone calls please. Applications will be accepted until December 31st, 2015, but the position will be filled as soon the right candidate is identified.
Refresh Appalachia provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.