Application for President of Rediscover Appalachia
JOB POSTING for position at COALFIELD DEVELOPMENT, a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization
Section 1: Information about the organization
A brief description of the organization:
Coalfield Development is a family of social enterprises. It operates in four rural counties in southwestern West Virginia in the fields of construction, deconstruction, woodworking, agriculture, and solar. The ultimate goal is to reverse generational cycles of poverty. Each enterprise has sustainable revenue models which ensure significant earned revenue (contracts, sales, service fees, etc.) and, thus, long-term sustainability. All profits are reinvested in the mission of the organization. They are unified by the 33-6-3 model; under this model each of the enterprises hires unemployed people to work the following weekly schedule:
-33 hours a week are spent doing paid labor for these enterprises on projects which tangibly improve the community;
-6 hours a week are devoted to core community college classes for an Applied Science degree. Some of the 33 hours of manual labor count as on-the-job credits applied towards the academic degree;
-3 hours are committed to life-skills coaching. Parenting, financial management, time management, physical health, teamwork, communication, and goal setting are examples of some topics covered.
Why this organization is a good place to work:
Be a part of something bigger than yourself; help us rebuild the Appalachian economy from the ground up.
What it’s like to work here:
Most casual, in-the-field. Some professional days. Flex scheduling. Paid holidays and vacation. Be a part of a dynamic and energetic team working to develop creative solution to complex regional challenges.
Section 2: Information about the role
- Job title: President of Rediscover Appalachia
- Purpose of the position: To entrepreneurially lead a social-enterprise in the arts and culture field. Sites included in the enterprise include a community coffee shop, a woodshop, an arts and crafts shop, and a formally vacant factory being renovated into space for creative entrepreneurs to launch new businesses.
- Salary: $40,000-$50,000 (paid vacation, paid holidays, benefits package)
Overview of Job:
In the position of President, the candidate shall be responsible for a wide-range of strategic and operational activities on behalf of both their enterprise specifically and Coalfield Development generally. The President should think of their role as that of an entrepreneur, taking an enterprise from the earliest stages and growing it to a self-sustaining entity. The President shall energetically engage the following tasks including, but not limited to:
• Creatively and inspirationally lead the entire enterprise
• Facilitate at least four Advisory Board meetings for their specific enterprise
• Prepare an annual budget (along with the enterprise’s Board of Directors) for approval by Coalfield Development’s CEO and CFO
• Prepare annual SMAART goals (along with the enterprise’s Board of Directors) for their enterprise for approval by Coalfield Development’s CEO
• Provide direct oversight of enterprise crew chiefs on at least a weekly basis
• Create a supportive environment and organizational culture conducive to human growth and development
• Provide direct mentorship to participants in their enterprise’s activities
• Coordination of the 33-6-3 model for participants
• Oversee advertising, marketing, and sales of products and services
• Increase sales and revenue annually toward a goal of financial self sufficiency
• Lead outreach and engagement with enterprise partners (new and existing)
• Seek out and apply for a variety of funding and financing opportunities
• Complete all reporting required for any successful funding that is acquired
• Manage the administrative tasks necessary for their enterprise to operate in accordance with all applicable local, state, and federal laws and regulations
• Fully participate in and add value to Coalfield Development’s strategic planning processes, team-building efforts, and professional development opportunities
• All other duties assigned by the enterprises Board of Directors and the Coalfield CEO
NOTE: Coalfield Development provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Coalfield Development complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Coalfield Development expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Coalfield Development’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Requirements including experience, qualification, skills and personal attributes:
- Comfortable in challenging, fluid, dynamic environment
- Entrepreneurial (willing to build something new from the ground up)
- Comfortable with the sales process
- Comfortable with the fundraising process
- Systems thinker/designer
- Good at public communications/marketing
- Patient with human development challenges
- Small business experience preferred
- Experience with arts and culture programming preferred
Where to send written application: email@example.com.
PLEASE PUT “APPLICATION FOR PRESIDENT OF REDISCOVER APPALACHIA” in the email’s subject line.
- background check
- three references required
- personal statement of why you are right for this position is required
NOTE: While all applications are appreciated, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.