JOB POSTING for position at COALFIELD DEVELOPMENT, a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization.
|Secretary||Finance Team||January 9, 2019|
|Salary||$33,000/YR, Benefits Package, Paid Leave||Chief Financial Officer|
|DIRECT REPORTS||FLSA STATUS||STATUS|
How to Apply
- Email your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Top applicants will be invited to complete an application and provide three professional references.
- 2-3 applicants will be selected for an interview, with a final decision made as soon as possible after this step is complete.
As Secretary you will assume the duty of clerical and administrative support to optimize workflow procedures in the office and across all parts of the organization. You must be comfortable being the primary point of contact for all manner of inquiries, issues, and requests, redirecting and coordinating responses as needed. While this position works within the Finance Team and reports to the CFO, the Secretary must also support the administrative needs of the Finance Team, Executive Team and Board of Directors. The ideal candidate will demonstrate a capacity to balance these competing demands, work with minimal supervision, and utilize technology to manage a high volume of paperwork, filing, and related duties.
- Promptly respond to calls, emails, letters, and in-person inquiries; direct inquiries to the appropriate person.
- Manage schedules and calendars; arrange, coordinate, and schedule meetings; prepare meeting documents such as agendas and minutes.
- Write and distribute routine correspondence and reports (e.g. thank you letters, expense reports, memos, forms related to hiring and benefits, etc.)
- Proofread and edit documents to ensure proper spelling and grammar as well as compliance with company policy; recommend revisions as needed.
- Prepare and distribute various correspondence, memos, and forms.
- File and update contact information of employees, customers, donors, suppliers, and external partners.
- Develop and maintain paper and electronic filing systems using applications like Google Drive and Evernote. Administer policies and procedures pertaining to document retention. Scan documents into the document management system, categorize and code documents with pertinent information, and ensure documents are routed into the correct workflow for other team members (e.g. human resources, accounts receivable, accounts payable, purchase card receipts, etc.)
- Maintain stock of office supplies and place appropriate orders.
- Administer a petty cash fund, accept cash from customers, prepare bank deposits, and generally support the cash receipts process.
- Cross-reference purchase card statements with receipts submitted by employees. Proactively identify missing receipts and coordinate the collection of missing receipts and financial source documents.
- Proactively detect and remedy common administrative issues, such as missing documents and deviations from company policy.
- Design and update new and existing forms as needed for common administrative tasks. Ensure current versions of all forms are readily available to employees.
- Make travel arrangements.
- Support the administration of passwords and online accounts using secure password management software.
Required Skills and Knowledge
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment with multiple projects, locations, and businesses.
- Kind and professional demeanor and attitude. Must be patient and compassionate with people and issues encountered in challenging socio-economic environments.
- Trustworthy and reliable, particularly with respect to handling confidential information and cash.
- Familiarity with office organization and optimization techniques.
- Excellent at time management, task prioritization, and organization.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient with computers, able to type 50+ words per minute, email, Microsoft Office, Google applications.
- Proficient with standard office equipment (phone system, copier/printer, scanners, etc.)
- Strong attention to detail.
Required Education and Experience
- Proven work experience as a secretary, office manager, or administrative assistant.
- High school diploma or GED
The Secretary reports to the Chief Financial Officer, but is expected to work with minimal supervision and respond to the administrative needs of the Finance Team, Executive Team, and Board of Directors. The Secretary is not responsible for supervision of any staff.
Work Location, Normal Working Hours, and Physical Environment
Coalfield’s offices are currently located in Wayne, Huntington, and Charleston, WV. The organization intends to move its main office from Wayne to Huntington within 2019. The chosen candidate must have reliable transportation to attend work at the Wayne or Huntington office.
- Primarily office environment
- Extensive computer operation with repeated finger motions.
- Filing and minimal lifting (5-15 LBS)
- Must be able to move around the office and get to the equipment and filing cabinets.
- Must be able to work seated or standing at a desk and/or computer for extended periods of time.
- The normal work week is Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Coalfield allows managers and employees to negotiate a flexible work schedule. Uncompensated overtime is infrequently required when necessary to meet critical deadlines or respond to emergencies.
Travel and Transportation Requirements
This is mainly an office job, but occasional travel between Charleston, Huntington, and Wayne, WV is required. Candidates must provide reliable transportation to their primary work location. Coalfield has a limited fleet of vehicles and frequent carpools to minimize travel burdens on employees. Travel expenses (excluding commutes) may be reimbursed per Coalfield’s policies and procedures.
WHO WE ARE
To support a family of social enterprises that inspire the courage to grow, the creativity to transform perceived liabilities into assets, and the community needed to cultivate real opportunity in Appalachia through mentorship, education, and employment.
Appalachian places and people unlocking their full potential, power, and purpose.
Together, we are rebuilding the Appalachian economy from the ground up!
Our Core Values
All employees are expected to exemplify our core values:
Our Core Capabilities
Community-Based Real Estate
We work with community groups, leaders, and partner organizations to develop mixed-use residential and commercial real estate projects with a social impact. Coalfield owns three rural multi-family housing properties and has an in-house construction crew.
Personal and Academic Development
Formally unemployed people (especially laid-off coal miners) are hired on to work crews that staff Coalfield’s social enterprises. These crews support a variety of community projects that create assets for local residents, communities, and businesses. Each week, Crew Members complete 33 hours of paid work, 6 credit hours of higher education, and 3 hours of personal development mentorship.
Develop and Incubate Social Enterprises
Coalfield incubates and grows a family of social enterprises in sectors it believes have the potential to diversify the regional economy and create good jobs. The enterprises we support measure their value according to our triple-bottom-line: people, planet, and profit. Coalfield also leads a business pitch contest and annual social enterprise conference to build a network of new and experienced entrepreneurs.
Our Family of Social Enterprises
Reclaim Appalachia converts mining-impacted lands in central Appalachia into sustainable economic development sites by tapping into the resiliency and work ethic of former coal miners and their communities.
Refresh Appalachia leads our region in sustainable agriculture initiatives by supporting farmers and producers to develop the local food economy. By providing training in farm and food entrepreneurship, Refresh Appalachia transforms the lives of young people and those displaced from the coal mining industry.
The West Edge Factory in Huntington, WV is a 96K sq. ft. building that had once employed over 1,000 people, but after closing, had sat in ruin for more than a decade. Coalfield has renovated the building over the years, developing it into a hub for its social enterprises, personal and academic development activities, and a creative space available to the community.
SustainU® is a licensee of Major League Baseball and manufactures sustainable apparel in Coalfield’s West Edge Factory. Our clothing production process saves millions of gallons of water and petroleum every year while reinvesting in new technology and equipment to rebuild the Appalachian economy from the ground up. SustainU is an industry leader and pioneer through its direct-to-consumer sales approach, interactive technology platforms, wholesale licensed products, and custom printing services.
Saw’s Edge Woodshop is a business and classroom where trainees learn fine woodworking techniques and visitors can learn alongside them.
Trout’s Hill Coffee and Cafe is a community-supported coffee shop in Wayne, WV.
Our Theory of Change and Guiding Strategies
Opportunity, willpower, and spirit are necessary to ending generational poverty. Real opportunities and lasting change cannot be simply provided; they are patiently cultivated. To achieve this, we simultaneously create new markets and the trained workforce to employ those markets. The main hook of our job training programs is that the work is paid, putting real wages in pockets. We insist on higher education because we value life-long learning. Measured mentorship represents the professional learning environment where we provide accountability and personal growth opportunities. In this way, we learn new skills by doing them on-the-job, as real employees of real businesses. We are not preparing people for the real world; we do business in the real world.
Coalfield Development Corporation provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Candidates may be required to pass a background check and/or drug test as a condition of employment.
NOTE: while all applications are appreciated, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.