Application for Chief Financial Officer
JOB POSTING for position at COALFIELD DEVELOPMENT, a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization
Section 1: Information about the organization
A brief description of the organization:
Coalfield Development is a family of social enterprises. It operates in four rural counties in southwestern West Virginia in the fields of construction, deconstruction, woodworking, agriculture, and solar. The ultimate goal is to reverse generational cycles of poverty. Each enterprise has sustainable revenue models which ensure significant earned revenue (contracts, sales, service fees, etc.) and, thus, long-term sustainability. All profits are reinvested in the mission of the organization. They are unified by the 33-6-3 model; under this model each of the enterprises hires unemployed people to work the following weekly schedule:
-33 hours a week are spent doing paid labor for these enterprises on projects which tangibly improve the community;
-6 hours a week are devoted to core community college classes for an Applied Science degree. Some of the 33 hours of manual labor count as on-the-job credits applied towards the academic degree;
-3 hours are committed to life-skills coaching. Parenting, financial management, time management, physical health, teamwork, communication, and goal setting are examples of some topics covered.
Why this organization is a good place to work:
At Coalfield Development, you can be a part of something bigger than yourself. Our team is helping to rebuild the Appalachian economy from the ground up. An executive-level position at Coalfield Development will give the right candidate ample opportunity to help lead and shape a dynamic and entrepreneurial team of 20 staff with an organizational budget approaching $4 million. Coalfield Development values a team-approach, creative problem-solving and a “can-do” attitude and rewards this with generous benefits and opportunities for personal growth.
What it’s like to work here:
Coalfield is in a period of rapid growth with a strong eye toward long-term sustainability. The work is challenging and complex; often involving the balance of multiple goals and strategies at once. But it is also rewarding as the right candidate is able to work closely with trainees and enterprise Presidents to shape positive outcomes. We are looking for a person to become a part of a dynamic, supportive and energetic team working to develop creative solutions to complex regional challenges.
Section 2: Information about the role
- Job title: Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
- Purpose of the position: This is a high level leadership position. CFO will be responsible for a wide-range of strategic and operational activities on behalf of Coalfield Development. Primarily, the CFO is a key member of the executive team and is responsible for the financial health and sustainability of the organization, and key financial functions.
- Salary: $50,000 (paid vacation, paid holidays, benefits package)
Overview of Job:
- Creatively and inspirationally lead staff through an annual budgeting process that includes revenue and income analysis; expense analysis and control, and program budgeting
- Oversee accounting and reporting including general ledger maintenance, cash flow management; AP/AR and Payroll; and accounting
- Provide financial leadership and sustainability through projections and financial planning, Loan and LOC management; Investment overview, advice and management; Reports and presentations to the BoD;
- Lead the organization in getting audit-ready each year, according to OMB A-133 standards (single audit) and other relevant federal regulations
- Design, improve, and implement financial systems that serve organizational and enterprise needs including internal control systems for effective enterprise management.
- Train other staff in relevant financial matters
- Assist with, assess, and propose adjustment to other organizational systems as needed to support financial sustainability (including but not limited to: human resources, evaluations, project planning, project implementation, sales, marketing, communication)
- Oversee and manage Coalfield’s insurance portfolio (health, workers comp, liability, property etc.)
- Oversee and manage Coalfield’s benefits package: health, dental, retirement etc.
- Coordinate with enterprise Presidents on a regular basis to creatively support them and provide financial resources needed for success
- Along with CEO and COO, assist Presidents in preparing annual SMAART goals
- Assist and/or lead special projects as appointed by the CEO
- Help create a supportive environment and organizational culture conducive to human growth and development
- Provide direct mentorship to project/community participants
- Assist with the coordination of the 33-6-3 model for participants
- Lead outreach and engagement with community partners (new and existing)
- Assist CEO, COO, and program teams seek out and apply for a variety of funding and financing opportunities
- Provide all reporting and documentation required for successful grants management.
- Ensure accordance with all applicable local, state, and federal laws and regulations
- Provide Grant budget management including expense and reimbursement management.
- Fully participate in and add value to Coalfield Development’s strategic planning processes, team-building efforts, and professional development opportunities
- All other duties assigned by the enterprises Board of Directors and the Coalfield CEO
NOTE: Coalfield Development provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Coalfield Development complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Coalfield Development expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Coalfield Development’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Requirements including experience, qualification, skills and personal attributes:
Comfortable in challenging, fluid, dynamic environment
Ability to work independently, and as part of a team
Excellent communications skills
Entrepreneurial (willing to build new systems from the ground up)
Comfortable with the sales process
Comfortable with the fundraising process
Patient with human-development/social challenges encountered in challenging socio-economic environments
Small business experience preferred
Experience with federal grants process preferred
Minimum of 6 years of nonprofit financial management experience and a bachelor’s degree in accounting or a related discipline preferred -Experience with managing finances for multiple enterprises/programs within an organization is preferred
Extensive background in financial record keeping; budget preparation and management; payroll, A/R and A/P required. Proficient in on-line accounting Software (Intacct, preferred), Microsoft programs
Where to send written application: firstname.lastname@example.org.
PLEASE PUT “APPLICATION FOR CFO” in the email’s subject line.
- background check
- three references required
- personal statement of why you are right for this position is required
NOTE: While all applications are appreciated, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.